INSTANT DOWNLOAD COMPLETE TEST BANK WITH ANSWERS
Test Bank For Gender, Race, and Class in Media- A Critical Reader 4th Edition by Gail Dines, Jean M. Humez
Part I Test Bank
- Textual analysis can be both quantitative and qualitative.
- Hegemony works through physical force.
- Once an idea, or text, is hegemonic in a culture it stays that way.
- Hegemonic ideas reside in media texts.
- When a text is polysemic, it is “open” to various readings or has multiple meanings.
- According to a cultural studies perspective, high culture products, such as the opera, are more worthy of study than popular culture products.
- “Culture” is an ideology or belief system that dictates things such as appropriate language, dress, and behavior.
- Popular culture is studied as a prime site of identity structure within a culture.
- Hegemony is
- control by one person or organization over another person.
- a resistance to dominance by one person or organization.
*c. willingly accepted by the people being dominated.
- achieved through forceful means.
- Gender is
- culturally bound.
*d. a and c.
- Vertical media integration includes control over
- radio stations and newspapers.
*b. production, supply and distribution.
- supply only.
- ______ is an approach to the study of communication in society that is drawn from a number of sources.
- Critical theory
*b. Cultural studies
- Content analysis
- Understanding the role of media audiences in the production of meaning is
- political Economy.
- textual Analysis.
- Which is NOT a feature of race?
- it is fluid
- it is culturally bound
- it is time sensitive
*d. it is static
- Which is a goal of cultural studies research?
- make predictions about behavior
- look for absolute truth
- offer the correct interpretation of a text
*d. make social change through the redistribution of power
- A cultural studies perspective does not highlight the __________ theory of gender socialization?
- social constructionist
- The fact that media can teach us how to think, act behave, feel and desire is a recognition of the fact that media are a source of
- absolute truth.
- pure entertainment.
- primarily nondominant messages.
*d. cultural pedagogy.
- Breaking down and analyzing the component parts of a media producer text t is known as
- audience reception.
*b. textual analysis.
- cultural pedagogy.
- Radway’s research on the readers of romance novels draws primarily on which cultural studies approach?
- political economy
- textual analysis
*c. audience reception
- All of the above
- Our text as a whole takes the position that ideologies of racism, sexism, classism, heterosexism are the product of
- vertical media integration.
*c. structural or institutional forces.
- media literacy.
- When Lipsitz claims that “television’s most important function came from its role as an instrument of legitimation for transformations in values initiated by the new economic imperatives of postwar America,” this points to television’s role in
- selling the American dream.
- teaching viewers how to be good consumers.
- reproducing a hegemonic ideology.
*d. all of the above
- Because there is a split between _______ and _________ there is always the possibility of multiplicity of readings.
- network decision making and advertisers
- audience decoding and social networking
- hegemony and textual encoding
*d. textual encoding and audience decoding
- Foster and McChesney argue that the “digital divide” in the U.S. continues to reproduce
- a media literate society.
*b. class divisions
- social equality
- audience analysis
- In the analysis of EMHE, Palmer asserts that the show can be understood by examining from the perspectives of
- gender and race
- race and class
- audience analysis and hegemony
*d. religion and ideology
- In the discussion of Star Trek, Jenkins views fans as
- lacking in creativity.
- not very motivated.
- Interactive fan activity can be understood as
- giving away their labor.
*d. all the above.
- “Incorporation” refers to
- making a privately held company public.
- blending the gendered, raced and classed views within a media text.
*c. the process by which resistance is co-opted and contained with hegemony.
- the intersection of encoding and decoding.
- Commercial network played an important role in emerging economy because it
*a. helped drive consumer purchases.
- encouraged economic frugality.
- critiqued overconsumption.
- kept families in the same consumer markets.
- Compare and contrast vertical and horizontal integration.
*a. Vertical integration occurs when one owner or company controls all parts of the production and distribution of a media product. Horizontal integration occurs when an owner or company buys all different sources of media products, such as television and radio stations, book publishers, and music labels. For more detail, see pages 30-33.
- According to Jenkins, why is fan writing a predominantly feminine response to mass media texts?
*a. For female fans of Star Trek, the show offers the possibility of nontraditional plotlines, more female characters, and overall gender equality. Such fans also critique the episodes when female characters do resort to stereotypical roles and attempt to rewrite them to restore equality. For more detail, see pages 72-75.
- Explain two of the values of cultural studies research.
*a. Cultural studies is valuable because it offers tools for media literacy and a more nuanced understanding of media texts, images and representations. It is also significant in that it offers the political perspective of social justice and equality. In contrast to other academic modes of inquiry, cultural studies goes beyond questions of prediction and understanding, but asks questions of change. For more detail, see pages 8- 10.
Part III Test Bank
- ______ is a form of political and social activism which, by means of fake adverts, hoax news stories, pastiches of company logos and product labels, and computer hacking draws attention to, and at the same time subverts, the power of the media, governments, and large corporations to control and distort the information that they give to the public in order to promote consumerism, militarism, etc.
*b. Culture Jamming
- Culture jamming is a counter-hegemonic tactic.
- What is an example that Law & Order SVU is NOT a feminist show?
*a. “Victims” the title
- Sexual violence as subject
- Demystifying black male rapist myth
- the use of the term “Survivors”
- In “Educating the Simpsons” Padva sites three political premises that support the anti-homophobic contribution of the episode that help empower young GLBT viewers. Which is NOT one of the three?
- Celebrating queer counter-culture
- Embracing straight-gay alliance
*c. Ignoring difference
- Promoting diversity and multiculturalism
- When Marge Simpson becomes John’s “fag hag,” she is embracing a straight-gay alliance.
- A polysemic reading of a television show proves the one correct meaning of the show for the audience.
- According to Han, __________ will never be hegemonic.
- white masculinity
- black femininity
*c. gay masculinity
- Once you learn the skills, decoding media texts is easy and simple.
- Race is not an indicator of success, values or the ability to survive in a postracial society.
- A postracial perspective is linked with an ideology of
- Black studies.
- Critics of a postracial perspective assert that it ignores
*d. white privilege.
- Whiteness does NOT focus on the _________ of White people.
- cultural construction
- Postfeminist and postracial discourse are at odds with one another.
- _____________ refers to the idea that the goals of the women’s movement have already been achieved.
- According to Cuklanz and Moorti, SVU is ultimately a feminist show.
- “Feminism” refers to one overarching belief system about women and men.
- The primary way to understand hip-hop is through an analysis of
*d. there is no primary way to understand popular culture.
- According to David, the hip-hop community has neglected which key aspect of black feminist theory?
- discourses on fatherhood
*b. discourses on motherhood
- discourses on class
- discourses on gender
- Black feminist theory looks at how _____ and ______ intersect with issues of gender.
*a. race, class
- encoding, decoding
- postmodernism, post-Fordism
- queer theory, masculinity
- Which is NOT one of the political culture jamming techniques used by Jon Stewart in The Daily Show?
- matter out of place (parody)
- matter out of time (video)
*c. matter in time (hegemony)
- dialectics that matter (interview style)
- “Camp” is
- very serious.
- a summer adventure.
*c. creative, fun and theatrical.
- bound by hegemony.
- Homophobia is a ___________ concept.
- cultural studies
- Heterosexism sees ____________ as normative.
*c. heterosexual relationships and ideology
- a lesbian identity
- Coming out is
*d. all of the above
- __________ is used as a metaphor for Ellen DeGeneres’ sexuality.
- The following show is presented as polysemic.
- The Jim Rome Show
*d. all of the above
- __________ literally means “hatred of women.”
- none of the above
- While The Jim Rome Show may be influenced by traditional gay and lesbian politics, it is not a ____________ space.
- How are the shows SVU, Survivor and The Jim Rome Show polysemic?
*a. They are all polysemic because they can be read multiple ways. SVU can be seen as both feminist and misogynist. Survivor is both postracial and reinforces racial images and stereotypes. The Jim Rome Show embodies reinforces male hegemony and offers spaces for counterhegemonic themes.
- How is culture jamming a counterhegemonic strategy?
*a. Culture jamming is counterhegemonic because it draws upon current media forms, conventions or people, but “plays” with them in a particular way to make them fresh and challenging. The challenge is to take existing values or practices and replace them with an alternative power or value structure.
- How are postfeminism and postracial discourses similar?
*a. They are similar in that they operate under the assumption that previous social efforts of social change, specifically the women’s and civil rights movements have brought about the necessary social, economic, educational, and legal changes necessary for gender and racial equality.