Purchase for full PDF Download
Human Biology Concepts and Current Issues 8th Ed – Johnson – Test Bank
Human Biology: Concepts and Current Issues, 8e (Johnson)
Chapter 1 Human Biology, Science, and Society
1.1 Multiple-Choice Questions
1) The branch of science that studies the natural world within the context of life is
- A) biology.
- B) geology.
- C) chemistry.
- D) physics.
- E) medicine.
2) The process by which living organisms maintain a fairly constant internal environment despite changes in the external environment is known as
- A) metabolism.
- B) biology.
- C) homeostasis.
- D) evolution.
- E) chemistry.
3) Molecules of life include which one of the following?
- A) water, proteins, lipids, nucleic acids, carbohydrates
- B) proteins, saturated fats, monosaccharides, but not polysaccharides
- C) lipids and proteins only
- D) any noncarbon base molecule
- E) nonsugar carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, water
4) Which one of the following is a TRUE statement?
- A) Molecules are considered to be the smallest unit capable of exhibiting all the characteristics of life.
- B) Cells arise spontaneously from nonliving chemical elements.
- C) All living things are made up of at least one cell.
- D) Cells are incapable of maintaining homeostasis because they are too small.
- E) Complex organisms can be unicellular.
5) Which one of the following is a CORRECT statement regarding metabolism?
- A) Few living organisms require raw materials and a constant source of energy.
- B) Plants get the raw materials they need for life processes entirely from the air.
- C) Cells maintain life through the breakdown of molecules and energy by chemical and physical processes.
- D) Cells do not require energy to change molecules from one form to another.
- E) Animals use energy obtained directly from the sun and chemicals obtained from plants, other animals, air, and water.
6) All of these criteria are used to classify an organism as a member of the plant, animal, or fungi kingdom EXCEPT which one?
- A) the organism’s life cycle
- B) the means by which the organism transports itself
- C) the structure or body plan of the organism
- D) the mode of nutrition of the organism
7) Which one of the following is a kingdom?
- A) Eukarya
- B) Primates
- C) Archaea
- D) Animalia
- E) Bacteria
Based on the figure above, which group of organisms is most closely related to members of the Kingdom Animalia?
- A) Protista
- B) Fungi
- C) Plantae
- D) Bacteria
- E) Archaea
9) Which kingdom in the Domain Eukarya contains multicellular photosynthesizers?
- A) Plantae
- B) Bacteria
- C) Fungi
- D) Archaea
- E) Animalia
10) Which one of the following taxa (subgroups used in classification) applies to humans?
- A) Mammals
- B) Protista
- C) Invertebrates
- D) Prokarya
- E) Bacteria
11) Which one of the following sequences represents taxa arranged in order from largest, most all inclusive, to smallest?
- A) kingdom, domain, phylum, order, class, genus, species, family
- B) domain, kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species
- C) domain, kingdom, phylum, class, order, genus, species, family
- D) species, genus, family, order, class, phylum, kingdom, domain
- E) kingdom, phylum, domain, class, order, genus, species, family
12) Humans possess several characteristics that, when taken together, differentiate them from other organisms. These characteristics include all of the following EXCEPT which one?
- A) opposable thumbs
- B) capacity for complex language
- C) bipedalism
- D) large brain relative to body mass
- E) the inability to maintain a constant internal body temperature
13) Which one of the following best describes the evolutionary advantage of bipedalism?
- A) allows an organism to have precise control over the action of the thumb and fingers
- B) frees the hands for carrying objects
- C) results in improved eye-hand coordination
- D) in early humans, allowed for complex motions associated with the use of tools
- E) increases the chance that an organism can communicate through the written word
14) Which one of the following sequences is CORRECT in terms of level of organization from least to most complex?
- A) cells, tissues, organs, organ systems, organism
- B) atoms, cells, organs, community, population
- C) atoms, cells, organism, organ systems, ecosystem
- D) tissues, organ systems, population, cells, organism
15) Which one of the following is the lowest level of biological organization in which evolutionary change can occur?
- A) cell
- B) organism
- C) community
- D) population